Re: Bad mailing list practice?

2004-09-01 15:21:03
Mailman passwords are always sent in the clear, and are considered to
be insecure.  I believe there was verbage about that when I got my
password.

Just my $.02 worth,

-Dave

On Wednesday, 01 Sep 2004, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
A public mailbox (accessible by anyone with an IMAP client) just received a
mailman reminder about a subscription to this list. That message contained
a clear-text password (actually several in this case). Whilst mailman does
have an option for subscribers to turn off the password reminder I think it
is bad practice to have that default to 'on' for new subscribers given that
mailing lists are often piped into public archives.

--
Cyrus Daboo

David Frascone

    Professionals built the Titanic, amateurs built the ark.