Reviewing: draft-malamud-consultant-report-00.txt

2004-09-07 08:50:32
With reference to:
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-malamud-consultant-report-00.txt

I found this to be an interesting read, conveying many points of which I was not previously aware. At this stage, I feel able merely to comment on some aspects of the document, not having sufficiently digested the larger issues that it raises.

3.2.1.1  Provision of a Basic Computing Infrastructure

States:
[[
   Part of the philosophy of the IETF support process is to not make
   large organizations whose sole purpose is to support the IETF.  This
   is still a valid approach.
]]

This is new to me (though not inconsistent with my understanding of the IETF). Is it indeed a widely held view? If so, is there a documented rationale?

3.  Recommendations for Restructuring the Administrative Framework

Of the 4 key recommendations raised by this draft, I note that dealing with Core Services (Section 3.2) is dealt with at considerably greater length than the other recommendations. Is this because the core services aspects of the recommendation are truly more complex and/or more difficult to address than the other recommendations?

I don't claim this is the case, but I feel I should ask if there is a possibility that discussion may dwell overmuch on this (more) technically oriented recommendation (parts of which might be seen as falling within the operational remit of an Administrative Director?) because that is what the community best understands?

4.4.1.2.1  Sample Draft Principles of Establishment and Governance

A nit, concerning:
[[
   6.  The annual meeting of the Board of Trustees of the IETF
       Foundation shall be announced on the IETF mailing list at least
       30 days before it occurs and must be held at a regular IETF
       meeting.  This meeting shall be open to IETF attendees and
       minutes shall be promptly posted on-line.
]]

If posted online means at a web address, then the community should be told where to find the minutes. I suggest adding: ", and announced to the IETF mailing list" (with some rearrangement of punctuation to ensure appropriate grouping of the requirements.)

#g