Re: On the difference between scenarios A and B in Carl's report

2004-09-07 15:52:23

At 7:57 PM +0200 9/6/04, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
It seems to me that we are rapidly converging on one point of total IETF consensus:

 Putting the IETF administrative function under ISOC requires a documented
 IETF-ISOC agreement (call it an MoU, a contract or something else - it IS
 a document, it IS an agreement and it DOES have two parties).

Agreed?

Its easy to identify the first party to this MoU - its ISOC, but, in a formal sense, who would be the second party? I'm not sure the division I work has a MoU with the CEO, nor do I think in terms of organizational sociology that the divisions of an entity are normally bound together with MoUs.

It appears to me that if we are heading down the contract / MoU path we have already implicitly set up the IETF as its own entity, and are now undertaking an outsourcing function to sub-contract activities to another entity.

I've also gained the impression that there is some hesitancy in taking such a step and assigning such role labels to the IETF and to ISOC and what we might be looking for here is something subtly different, which is a public undertaking on the part of ISOC regarding its commitment to the IETF role, and a public undertaking on the part of the IETF as to recognition of certain obligations on its part to ISOC.

   Geoff