RE: Meeting locations (was IETF 62)

2004-09-21 20:30:09
In comparing IEEE and IETF you need to remember that they are radically different in that IEEE 802 working groups make decisions by formal voting at physical meetings (or by a formal email letter ballot process with ballots sent only to voting members who are required to respond) rather than by mailing list consensus. Furthermore, in IEEE 802, you have no vote until you have attended enough working group meetings in a short enough window to qualify as a voting member. You can't even get on an IEEE 802 working group mailing list until you have physically attended at least one meeting (at least for 802.11). Because of this, travel to IEEE 802 meetings is more crucial. Failing to travel to an IEEE 802 meeting because it is in a vacation area may mean losing an important vote.

Thanks,
Donald
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd
dee3(_at_)torque(_dot_)pothole(_dot_)com
 155 Beaver Street              +1-508-634-2066(h) +1-508-786-7554(w)
 Milford, MA 01757 USA
Donald(_dot_)Eastlake(_at_)motorola(_dot_)com

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:

Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 01:01:53 +0300
From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <dromasca(_at_)avaya(_dot_)com>
To: Robin Uyeshiro <uyeshiro(_at_)ifa(_dot_)hawaii(_dot_)edu>,
    John C Klensin <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>,
    Lars Eggert <lars(_dot_)eggert(_at_)netlab(_dot_)nec(_dot_)de>, Sam Hartman
<hartmans(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu>
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: Meeting locations (was IETF 62)

You are correct if you refer to the participation numbers in last couple of meetings. Historically IEEE 802 Plenaries have been much smaller in size than the IETF meetings. I believe that by the time when the Hilton Head and Kauai meetings were hold (2001, 2002), the IEEE plenaries were gathering around 1000 attendees, while the IETF meetings were about the double size. It' s only at the last two meetings that IEEE continued to grow in size, while IETF participation decreased, so that the two organizations got to about the same size in participation.

IEEE 802 Plenaries do not provide a terminals room, but they do wireless networking for the last three years or so. The schedule is roughly the same (Monday through Friday afternoon) and number of meeting rooms they use is higher - maybe double or more than the IETF needs.

IEEE 802 use the services of an external events organizing company for a few years.

Regards,

Dan