Re: [dnsop] Re: Root Anycast (fwd)

2004-10-01 11:32:49
Dean,

The following message pretty clearly illustrates the frivolous nature of John Brown's "dispute", as he is quite well aware that DNSSEC requires TCP queries of the root servers, and in fact has been //advocating// for it. And he is also aware of other upcoming technologies and developments that will both increase the size of the packets and hence increase the number
of TCP connections made on the root servers.

Nothing in the messages quoted below says anything about DNSSEC requiring TCP.

Nothing in the protocol specs says anything about DNSSEC requiring TCP.

In fact if you take a look at the actual protocol you'll notice that it is not even possible to have DNSSEC information returned unless you utilize EDNS(0). With EDNS(0) you'll also get the ability to advertise a larger UDP reassembly buffer capability than 512 bytes which more or less takes care of your DNSSEC worries.

Can we please stop the DNSSEC red hering now?

Johan

It is completely frivolous to claim that 'DNS queries are "mostly UDP",
and that we need not worry about TCP queries'.  We already know that at
present and historically that UDP is the common case. Taking cheap shots
in frivolous disputes is no way to work on problems.

                --Dean

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 23:57:00 -0600
From: John M. Brown <john(_at_)chagres(_dot_)net>
To: 'Masataka Ohta'
<mohta(_at_)necom830(_dot_)hpcl(_dot_)titech(_dot_)ac(_dot_)jp>,
     "'Loomis, Rip'" <GILBERT(_dot_)R(_dot_)LOOMIS(_at_)saic(_dot_)com>
Cc: dnsop(_at_)cafax(_dot_)se
Subject: RE: Interim signing of the root zone.

anycast root opens the root system up to more capture,
even if its localized capture, its still capture.

Who decides on who can "anycast" the zone and how do
we know its the right zone ?

signing the root, by whatever means is decided upon, helps
assure that the data is in fact "the original stuff".

If the country of Futuro (make believe) decides to run its
own "root" via an anycast system, and they change the
NS RR set for .JP, how are users going to know that?

maybe I'm just naive.....

john brown