A modest proposal for Harald

2004-11-05 16:19:03
    > From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand
    > Date: Friday, November 05, 2004 1:20 AM

    > I'm stepping down as IETF chair in March, and I am not a candidate
    > for reappointment.

Harald:

I too would like to congratulate you on your successes, and suggest you have
the opportunity to be the last chair to preside over active work related to
version 6 of the IP protocol suite. With the passage of more than 10 years
since IPv6 was adopted as the offical replacement for IPv4, and with the
contined small amount of actual IPv6 deployment, there is really no further
justification for any IETF working group to be discussing IPv6 in current
work. With all due respect to those who have put in a lot of effort over the
years in the attempt to make IPv6 happen, even people working on IPv6 have to
acknowledge that the size of the publicaly available IPv6 internet continues
to be very small; this is a poor sign for the adoption of IPv6. It should be
clear to everyone that although products that rely on current standards
activities will continue appear in the market place, the market is simply not
interested in deploying IPv6. As such I would recommend your legacy include
an active review of all working group discussions next week for items related
to IPv6, followed by closure of all IPv6 related work items before your
departure in March.

        Noel