Re: IPv6 is being deployed !

2004-11-05 18:21:40
On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 07:30:59PM -0500, Noel Chiappa wrote:
    > From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi(_dot_)palet(_at_)consulintel(_dot_)es>

    > Will all the respect, this is ridiculous.
    > You are out of the market, I feel.

To the contrary, I am using data from live IPv6 BGP routing tables, available
here:

    http://bgp.potaroo.net/index-v6.html

I always prefer real data to marketing hype.

Well, it looks like nice linear growth :)

I'd be interested for some numbers on how big the v6 BGP routing table
would get relative to the existing v4 one, which is at, what, 150k entries?

The current 600 isn't a lot, but if you take the case (close to me) of the
UK academic network, in v6 we have one prefix (2001:630::/32), while in
v4 there's pretty much one per university, so 200-300+ entries, since the
universities got IP pre-CIDR.

If that were typical across all ISPs, then you're at your 150k equivalent
already.   Seems unlikely though.

In v6 there will also be no PI blocks advertised (unless some big corps
have blagged /32's).

Which major ISPs do not yet have v6 address space?

Which of those have enough address space? (i.e. /20-something rather than /32?)

tim