Re: IPv6 is being deployed !

2004-11-08 14:49:46
On 8-nov-04, at 19:31, Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:

Well, the RIRs will actually hand out address-space explicitly saying
they make no guarantees for routability. If you apply for IPv4 PI space
and can only justify the equivalence of a /26 you will get a /26.

There is a difference between acknowledging that they can't control how the operator community is going to filter, and telling the operator community that it's ok to filter out anything smaller than n while at the same tme giving out blocks that are smaller than n.

Whichever way you slice it this is WRONG. Now obviously this isn't the forum to keep rehashing this (those who can do something about this either know about the problem now or they are unwilling to fix it regardless of the input they receive) but I'm afraid as long as people are going to defend this or redefine the semantics so that it's ok after all, I'll have to respond and disagree.