RE: IPv4 consumption statistics and extrapolations

2004-11-06 18:35:10
By the way, I must apologize. I had a bug in the spreadsheet that I used, and
the numbers that I quoted are goofy. The consumption did increase during the
last year, but not quite that fast. Let's say that, depending on which number
you pick, the consumption per year is between 4 and 10 blocks, which means an
exhaustion in 10 to 15 years if the rates continue. But it also mean that we
are de facto in the upper size of the S curve, because we have passed the 50%
capacity point.

From: Soliman, Hesham [mailto:H(_dot_)Soliman(_at_)flarion(_dot_)com]
Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2004 3:11 PM
To: Christian Huitema; Bob Braden; harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no;
gih(_at_)apnic(_dot_)net
Cc: v6ops(_at_)ops(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: IPv4 consumption statistics and extrapolations

I think Christian made very important points.
I'd like to add one point that I'm sure will sound like a broken record to some
people. Mobile mobile mobile! There are more mobile devices today than IPv4
can handle, period. Everyone is using NATs to build their mobile networks. The
question
here is will NATs survive the types of services that operators want to provide?
From where I'm looking, the problems are profound and extremely difficult to
solve.

I think the reason this hasn't been more widely understood is that we're still
not close
to seeing those mobile peer to peer services over IP. But when that happens (no
speculation
from me here), I think operators will realise what they're in for. This is
especially true
for large operators.

So, there is more to this than simply looking at the remaining address space
and
the rates of allocation.

Hesham