Re: resend comments on AdminRest

2004-11-22 05:14:26
Scott,

--On 19. november 2004 12:17 -0500 scott bradner <sob(_at_)harvard(_dot_)edu>
wrote:

          The IAD will be responsible for presenting this
  budget to the ISOC Board of Trustees, as part of ISOC's annual financial
  planning process. The IAOC is responsible for ensuring the suitability
  of the budget for meeting the IETF community's administrative needs, but
  the IAOC does not bear fiduciary responsibility for ISOC. Therefore, the
  ISOC Board also needs to review and understand the budget and planned
  activity in enough detail to properly carry out their fiduciary
  responsibility. Each year, the complete IASA budget will published to
  the IETF community.

This does not seem to admit to the possibility that the ISOC board might
say 'wait a minute - you are asking for twice as much money as you got
last year - we need to work with you to figure out a funding level that
the ISOC can support'  - i.e. it is not reasonable to assume that the
ISOC BoT can carry out the above mentioned fiduciary responsibility
without being able to engage in a dialogue over budget amounts.

I don't understand your comment - given that the timeline shown in the BCP has the ISOC BoT working with the IAD over the budget for 4-5 months (July to November/December), how can you think that there will not be a dialogue over that period of time?

This applies to multiple places in your comments - you seem to have read "dialogue is not explicitly mentioned" as "no dialogue is allowed to take place", and I simply can't understand how you came to that reading.

Remember also that the ISOC President is part of the IAOC. There will ALWAYS be channels for making suggestions.

Others:

question - what is the backup mechanism for the IAD?  (if the IAD were
to get truck fade for example)

Hire a new one.... no hot spare. I think IAOC has to be used for institutional memory in that case.

question - who gets to set the pay and bonuses for the IAD?

Quote from section 3:

   Although the IAD will be an ISOC employee, he or she will work under
   the direction of the IAOC.  The IAD will be selected and hired by a
   committee of the IAOC.  The members of this committee will be
   appointed by the IAOC, and will consist minimally of the ISOC
   President and the IETF Chair.  This same committee will be
   responsible for periodically reviewing the performance of the IAD and
   determining any changes to his or her employment and compensation.

                 Harald