RE: AdminRest: IASA BCP: do we need dedicated IASA (bank) account s

2004-11-26 14:32:16

Scott,

as I just posted in response to a different posting from Bert
I think these are not the right questions - that these questions are
being asked is a symptom to me that the document (and maybe the IETF)
is not yet clear on the principals we want to have agreed to for
going forward - I think the whle question of a bank account
is an implementation detail that the people "on the ground" (IAD
etc) should figure out - the IETF should figure out what are
we trying to accomplish and describe that clearly

Scott

Well, let me say what I think these questions are symptomatic of (quoting
from draft-iab-iesg-adminrest-rec-00):

   Scenario A worried people because it did not seem to acknowledge the
   IETF community's need to be able to determine if its needs were being
   met and to do something about it if they were not - the phrase
   "replace existing problematic structures by ISOC" was perhaps a
   capsule summary.

I think there is a concern in the community that the IETF needs some way to
ensure that it is not "locked in" to any solution we adopt at this stage.
After all, it has been a complex and somewhat contentious road to where we
are now, and while we've arrived at a consensus on a plan, we can't be
certain that the community will think it is the right course for all time to
come. Scenario O was adopted as a compromise position between A and B, but I
don't think we should lose sight of the reasons that Scenario A was
considered problematic in the first place.

Is the question of an IASA bank account an implementation detail? From my
perspective, it is one way to build in a degree of autonomy that would
enable to the IETF to react to changing circumstances; certainly, it seems
likely that the IETF's ability to react would be impaired by a lack of
direct control over its assets. But as you say, the principle is what is
important here. So I guess the question is, presuming people largely agree
with the concern articulated about Scenario A above, how would you recommend
that we guarantee the IETF's ability to react?

Jon Peterson
NeuStar, Inc.