AdminRest: IASA BCP: Finances and Accounting - principles

2004-11-26 10:04:07
OK, besides the details of implementation (e.g. a specific
IASA bank account or not), we MUST (if I understoodd the
discussion on the list) specify the principles that we
(IETF and ISOC) find important w.r.t. the finances and
accounting of this IASA-IETF-ISOC relationship.

So how about inserting a section 5.1 (shifting the others
by 1) with text as follows (first draft):

  5.1 Principles

  The following sections on specific funding sources, expenses
  and reserve funds are based on these IETF and ISOC agreed to
  principles:

  1. The goal is to achieve and maintain a viable IETF administrative
     support activity (IASA) based on meeting fees and designated
     donations.

  2. All income and expenses will be budgeted on a yearly basis and
     agreed to by IASA, IAOC and ISOC. In addition, each year a
     provisional 3-year budget will be created so as to minimize
     future surprizes.

  3. Until the goal in point 1 is achieved, ISOC will support the
     IASA from generic ISOC funds, based on a yearly budget, agreed
     to by IASA, IAOC and ISOC.

  4. Once established, over a period of 3 years, IASA should build
     an operating reserve for its activities sufficient to cover
     6-months of non-meeting operational expenses, plus twice the
     recent average for meeting contract guarantees.

  5. All of the IETF-related budgeting, funding and expenses have
     to be fully and transparently accounted for.

  6. At any time, the books (balance sheets) should be clear on how
     much assets and liabilities the IASA has on IETF's behalf.

  7. The IAD (or another designated member of the IAOC in case of
     the disability or unavailability of the IAD) has an ability to
     commit funds to budgeted expenses.

In my view, that would also mean that the budget for the first 3
years includes the building of the reserve fund, and so potentially
that means that also ISOC generic funding will help to build that
reserve fund. That reserve fund will be dedicated for IASA to draw
on when needed.

Bert