Re: AdminRest: IASA BCP: Finances and Accounting - principles

2004-11-26 12:08:59
Bert goes on:
So how about inserting a section 5.1 (shifting the others
by 1) with text as follows (first draft):

  5.1 Principles

  The following sections on specific funding sources, expenses
  and reserve funds are based on these IETF and ISOC agreed to
  principles:

  1. The goal is to achieve and maintain a viable IETF administrative
     support activity (IASA) based on meeting fees and designated
     donations.

  2. All income and expenses will be budgeted on a yearly basis and
     agreed to by IASA, IAOC and ISOC. In addition, each year a
     provisional 3-year budget will be created so as to minimize
     future surprizes.

  3. Until the goal in point 1 is achieved, ISOC will support the
     IASA from generic ISOC funds, based on a yearly budget, agreed
     to by IASA, IAOC and ISOC.

  4. Once established, over a period of 3 years, IASA should build
     an operating reserve for its activities sufficient to cover
     6-months of non-meeting operational expenses, plus twice the
     recent average for meeting contract guarantees.

  5. All of the IETF-related budgeting, funding and expenses have
     to be fully and transparently accounted for.

  6. At any time, the books (balance sheets) should be clear on how
     much assets and liabilities the IASA has on IETF's behalf.

  7. The IAD (or another designated member of the IAOC in case of
     the disability or unavailability of the IAD) has an ability to
     commit funds to budgeted expenses.

to me most of these are not principals - they are operating details -
( to me #5 is a principal and #7 comes close to one)

some comments on them anyway (even if I think this level of detail
does not belong in this document)

  1. The goal is to achieve and maintain a viable IETF administrative
     support activity (IASA) based on meeting fees and designated
     donations.

I'd change "designated donations" to "ISOC generate support"
just like in #3 this constrains how the ISOC could rase funds
to support the activity - that seems like a bad idea

  3. Until the goal in point 1 is achieved, ISOC will support the
     IASA from generic ISOC funds, based on a yearly budget, agreed
     to by IASA, IAOC and ISOC.

I'd change "generic ISOC funds" to "ISOC funds" - I see no reason
that the IETF has to constrain what funds the ISOC uses to support
the IETF (for example the use of "generic" would rule out the ISOC
doing a special fund raising for the IETF support like it did for
the RFC Editor support)

I'd also sugest some other wording tweaks such as
  4. Once established, over a period of 3 years, IASA should build
     an operating reserve for its activities sufficient to cover
     6-months of non-meeting operational expenses, plus twice the
     recent average for meeting contract guarantees.

to something like
  4. Once established, over a period of 3 years, IASA should ensure
     that an operating reserve for its activities sufficient to cover
     6-months of non-meeting operational expenses, plus twice the
     recent average for meeting contract guarantees is developed.

I'm not sure that the IASA would actually rase the money but they should
ensure that a reserve is established

point number 6 sees a bit funny - whatever was intended might be
able to be covered by adding 'assets and liabilities" after
"expenses" in point 5

I'll try to send some examples of what I mean by principals later today