RE: AdminRest: Finances and Accounting

2004-11-27 10:36:56
The important point I was trying to make were that section 5 of the document seems to be ratholing on details of the accounting structure and timing of deposits while potentially missing important high-level concerns and failing to demonstrate an understanding of ISOC's current accounting structure or audit issues. What I would really like to see in the document is a specification of the requirements the implementation should achieve rather than the details of the implementation. I would also like the folks writing the text to discuss the text and what they want to result from it with ISOC's accounting office, so that there can be an appropriate exchange of views. ISOC's accounting office has not advised me that this has happened.

Note that I have no issue with the objectives as I understand them - that there be sufficient money on account for IETF to do what it needs to do with clarity and certainty, and be able to account to the community for the money received and spent. But I infer these from the document; I don't read them in the document. What I read in the document is a fairly detailed description of one of the many ways that might be achieved.

Saying that seems to have resulted in a serious amount of debate deep down in the rathole, in some cases defending the rathole. That wasn't what I intended. I just wanted the right folks to go sit down and talk, as the IETF does in any other such discussion.

It still looks knee deep in a rathole to me. I would still like to see requirements rather than implementations. And I would still like to hear that dialog is happening with ISOC's accounting office.