Re: The gaps that NAT is filling

2004-11-28 18:52:22
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:11:19 +0100, Jeroen Massar wrote:
On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 07:03 -0500, Margaret Wasserman wrote:
Without solutions to these four problems on the horizon, I can't
voice any enthusiasm that the larger address space in IPv6 will
eliminate NAT in home or enterprise networks.

This really isn't a problem of the IETF. The problems is at the ISP's
who should charge for bandwidth usage and not for IP's.

It is all a financial problem, people earn money this way, and there is
not an easy way you can let them not make money.
Actually, can you blame them? I can't unfortunately...

Arguably, if the ISPs handed out a (static) IP to every customer,
soon they'd be out of IPs, and thus unable to grow their businesses
from that perspective.

--gregbo