Re: The gaps that NAT is filling

2004-11-28 03:19:42
On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 21:47 +0000, Greg Skinner wrote:
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:11:19 +0100, Jeroen Massar wrote:
On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 07:03 -0500, Margaret Wasserman wrote:
Without solutions to these four problems on the horizon, I can't
voice any enthusiasm that the larger address space in IPv6 will
eliminate NAT in home or enterprise networks.

This really isn't a problem of the IETF. The problems is at the ISP's
who should charge for bandwidth usage and not for IP's.

It is all a financial problem, people earn money this way, and there is
not an easy way you can let them not make money.
Actually, can you blame them? I can't unfortunately...

Arguably, if the ISPs handed out a (static) IP to every customer,
soon they'd be out of IPs, and thus unable to grow their businesses
from that perspective.

That is such a odd argument. When an ISP runs out of IP space, they go
to their RIR and say "Hey! You! I am running out of IP space gimme a new
chunk!"

And then they get one, usually even 3 months in advance of running out.
As long as an ISP can show demand for address space they can get it.
You do need to have your network documentation in order of course and
fit some other rules, but you will get the space.

There is *no* address shortage in IPv4 (nor IPv6), see the various very
nice presentations by Geoff Huston which he gave at the RIR meetings and
other places.