AdminRest: an attempt at some principles

2004-11-28 07:11:38
Since I and a number of other posters have been asking that the
AdminRest document move up a step or two and articulate the
basic principles that we want the IETF administrative functions
to operate under rather than continue to focus on teh operational
details I've tried to put together a set of such principles to
prime discussion

in these principles I have not directly addressed the feeling of some
people that the IETF needs to be able to "blow the bolts" (as I put it
a while back) with the ISOC quickly if things "go bad" in some way.  I
have not done so not because I want to dismiss or ignore such feelings
but because I have not figured out a way to express it if I take into
account the fact that the IETF cannot actually go it alone anytime soon
because it does not have the cash flow from meeting fees that would
support an independent IETF - suggestions welcomed

===============
The following is a mixture of postings from many people (with some of my
own ideas tossed in)

1/ The IETF intends to establish a structure (the IETF Administrative
Support Activity (IASA)) to get IETF administrative functions managed
appropriately, according to good administrative, fiscal, and management
principles.  The IASA includes an IETF Administrative Director (IAD) and
an IETF Administrative Oversight Committee (IAOC).  The IASA will be
housed within the Internet Society (ISOC).

2/ The IAD, IAOC and the ISOC shall not have any authority over the IETF
standards development activities.

3/ The IAD and IAOC, with advice from the ISOC President/CEO and staff,
will develop an annual budget for the IASA.  The budget must clearly
identify all expected direct and indirect expenditures related to the
IASA.  The ISOC, through its normal procedures, will evaluate and adopt
the IASA budget as part of the ISOC's own budget process and commit to
ensuring funds to support the approved budget.

5/ The responsibility for the evaluation, review and negotiation of
contracts and other IETF administrative and support agreements and other
expenditures of funds under the IASA shall rest with the IAD, operating
in accordance with policies and procedures set by the IAOC and
consistent with ISOC operating policies.

6/ There shall be a detailed public accounting to separately identify
all funds available to and all expenditures relating to the IETF and to
the IASA including any donations (of funds or in-kind) received by the
ISOC for IETF-related activities.  In-kind donations shall only be
accepted at the direction of the IAD and IAOC.

7/ The right to use any intellectual property rights created by any
IASA-related or IETF activity may not be withheld by the ISOC from the IETF.

8/ The IASA should establish a target for a reserve fund to cover normal
operating expenses and meeting expenses in accordance with prudent
planning, and ISOC should work with the IASA to build up and maintain
the reserve.

[note: As an initial estimate, the desired reserve should cover six
months of non-meeting operational expenses plus twice the recent average
for meeting contract guarantees, but this is a matter for determination
by the IAOC and ISOC and is not set specifically in this BCP.)