Re: AdminRest: an attempt at some principles

2004-11-28 11:20:47
carl(_at_)media(_dot_)org (Carl Malamud) writes:

How about:

<section title="Community Consensus and Grant of Authority">
  <t>
    The IETF is a consensus-based group and authority to act on behalf
    of the community is an act that requires a high degree of consensus

add "and transparency" here plz.

    and the continued consent of the community
    After a careful process of deliberation, there is a broad-based
    community consensus to house the IETF Administrative &amp; Support
    Activities (IASA) within the Internet Society, which is reflected
    in this Best Current Practice (BCP) RFC.</t>
  <t>
    Termination and change.  Any change to this agreement shall require
    a similar level of community consensus and deliberation and shall
    be reflected by a subsequent Best Current Practice (BCP) RFC.
  </t>
</section>

A termination clause is standard in any agreement and this one simply
says "if you want to change this, get another bcp through the process."
This doesn't address the "and we want to take our money with us" issue,
but I believe that could be addressed elsewhere or not addressed at
all.  Either way works for me.

any way you can work a "sunshine law" in will work for me.  i'm
concerned about the ways in which ietf has acted "in my name" WITHOUT my
consent or knowledge.  i know from private responses to my previous
threads on that topic that i'm not alone, not even rare, in having that
concern.  if a small band of "us" wishes to act in a leadership
capacity, take responsibility for forward progress, choose and manage an
administrator, and represent "our" position in discussions with
meatspace government, then by i insist upon knowing more about "their"
deliberations and decisions and actions than has ever been made public
in the history of "the ietf".  we can start by making "transparency" a
first class object, right up there with "consensus" -- even though by
most definitions you cannot have consensus without transparency, in ietf
we have absolutely separated them and so we have to explicitly reinstate
one.
--
Paul Vixie