Re: Adminrest: section 5

2004-12-02 04:24:09
I don't think there is any principle in 2.2 that forms a basis for saying that we need to aim towards limiting IETF support to meeting fees and designated donations.

The situation we have now is (I think) that a lot of people support ISOC because they want to support the IETF, but do not require that ISOC account for their contribution separately - perhaps because they trust ISOC to do the Right Thing, because they've looked at the numbers and figure that IETF support is ISOC's major activity anyway, or because they think that ISOC's other activities are "somewhat valuable", and don't mind some of their money going in that direction, as long as IETF gets the support it needs.

I don't see a particular benefit in aiming for not allowing such "I support the IETF and the other stuff too" donations to contribute to the IETF.

Suggested edit: Change

Note that the goal is to achieve and maintain a viable IETF support
function based on meeting fees and designated donations. The IETF
community expects the IAOC and ISOC to work together to attain that goal,
and recognizes that doing so will require striking some sort of balance.

Note that the goal is to achieve and maintain a viable IETF support
function based on avaiable funding sources. The IETF
community expects the IAOC and ISOC to work together to attain that goal,
and recognizes that doing so will require striking some sort of balance.

(I thought about making that "stable funding sources" - but neither meeting fees nor donations really qualify as "stable"..... so I didn't).

(note: this is my opinion on the matter - if I later want to say that I have detected consensus on this point, I'll say so.)

           Harald

--On 1. desember 2004 23:23 -0500 Scott Bradner <sob(_at_)harvard(_dot_)edu>