RE: Adminrest: section 3.4

2004-12-03 07:28:49
Avri and  others,

Let me try to explain what we are trying to capture.
But first, I do agree that IASA/IAOC should meet the admin
needs of the whole IETF (and that also includes the IRTF).

IAB and certainly IESG members interact with the admin
support functions on a daily basis. They get exposed to
many more administrative functions than the average IETF
participants.

If we look at the situation today, then I suspect that there
are many people in the IETF who think that the current
admin support for IETF is working reasonably well.

But the IAB and even much more the IESG is very well aware
of lots of trouble in the area of admin support.
We (IESG and IAB) do not tend to put out dirty laundry in
the public domain (that is goodness I think).
As a result, the IETF community at large may have
the perception that admin support is kind of OK.
But the IESG and IAB know that it is NOT OK.

That is what we are trying to capture... the fact that if
IETF at large seems reasonably happy is not sufficient. The
IESG and IAB should also be happy.

So I hope thats explain what we want to capture?

If it does, do we agree that we need to mention IESG and IAB
explicitly?

And what is the best text to do so?

Here is a new proposed text:

   3.4  Relationship of the IAOC to Existing IETF Leadership

   The IAOC is directly accountable to the IETF community for the
   performance of the IASA.  However, the nature of the IAOC's work
   involves treating the IESG and IAB as major internal customers
   of the administrative support.  The IAOC and the IAD should not
   consider their work successful unless the IESG and IAB are also
   satisfied with the administrative support that the IETF is
   receiving.

Better? Other suggestions on how to capture the idea?

Bert