Re: iasa-bcp-01 - variance

2004-12-06 02:57:45
Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

--On 3. desember 2004 11:24 +0100 Brian E Carpenter <brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com> wrote:

The variance clause that I suggested has been inserted in section 5
on funding. I think it should apply more generally, and should
be placed as the second paragraph of section 3, slightly
modified (s/the/any/)

   Disclaimer: The IAOC is authorized to vary any procedures for legal,
   accounting or practical reasons as long as it reports the variance to
   the IETF community and triggers an update of this BCP.

Hmmm. Getting a BCP through the process (for any reason) is a heavy operation, and updating a BCP of this importance is even heavier.

That seems like overkill for what might be an one-off situation.
What about this?

 If the IAOC is unable to comply with the procedures described here
 for legal, accounting or practical reasons, the IAOC shall report that
 fact to the community, along with the variant procedure it intends to
 follow. If the problem is a long-term one, the IAOC shall ask the IETF
 to update this document to reflect the changed procedure.

That should allow "startup" variances like "it's December, we won't get you the 2005 budget in June 2004" to be handled without needing to revise the document for it.

Agreed. I had wondered but not typed whether we needed to add "within
a reasonable time" or something, but your formulation is better.

  Brian