Re: Adminrest: section 3.5b (appealability)

2004-12-06 03:10:06

--On mandag, desember 06, 2004 10:39:27 +0100 Brian E Carpenter <brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com> wrote:

Scott Bradner wrote:
Harald sez:
  if "decisions of the IAOC can be appealed" rather reads:
  If someone believes that the IAOC has violated the IAOC rules and
  procedures, he or she can ask the IETF leadership to investigate the
  matter, using the same procedure as is used for appeals of procedural
  issues in the IETF, starting with the IESG.

  If the IESG, IAB or the ISOC BoT find that procedures are violated,
  they  may advise the IAOC, but does not have authority to overturn or
  change a  decision.

this sort of wording halps deal with the worry I had in that an appeal
will not stop the IETF from working and restricts the appeals to
those that relate to violating "rules and procedures" and does not
support the idea of allowing an appeal of a decision to hire
a particular vendor just because someone did not like the vendor
or thought they could do something cheaper

True, but it still leaves the field rather open - are you sure we
shouldn't
include a limitation to matters affecting the standards process?

I am pretty sure I wouldn't want that limitation - since the IAOC's only business is supporting the standards process, it's not clear that there is anything the IAOC can do that can't be constructed as affecting the standards process. There are cases (instance off the top of my head: IAOC failing to make its decisions public) that would (IMHO) qualify for appeals, and where it would not be possible to tell whether this affects the standards process directly or not before correcting the first problem.

And remember - in the text above, the only power the appeals bodies has is to make a rather public statement that the IAOC has overstepped its rules. That limits the power of an appeal as a DoS attack on the IAOC - it's up to the appealed-to bodies to make sure they don't get a DoS attack.....

                    Harald