Re: Adminrest: section 3.5b (appealability)

2004-12-02 22:13:09
On what kinds of grounds should such things be appealable?
For WG decisions, there can be appeals based on technical grounds or procedural grounds.
The ISOC however may only here pure procedural appeals.

I would hate to see someone "appeal" an IAD decision because they happened to disagree with it. That would make the job impossible. There probably are some things that should be subject to appeal. I don't know what they would be. If we can not list them, I don't think we dare create an appeal process. The IADs job is administration. We need to hire an IAD and let him do his job with sufficient oversight / review (that's what the IAOC is for.)

Note that if the IAD decisions are sufficiently transparent, then if the community really dislikes the decisions, then the community leadership will look into better directing or if necessary replacing the IAD.

I have even more trouble seeing how someone would end up appealing an IAOC "decision" since their primary job is oversight. I presume that they will have decisions to make over and above oversight. But "appealing" most of those would produce very strange results.

Note that there are many things in our process that can not be appealed. The IESG decides how many areas to have. It decides what areas different working groups belong in. It needs to make those decisions (usually merely by living with the status quo) in order to function.

Transparency of decisions does require appealability. Most government transparency does not lead to appeals. There are specific legal grounds for "adjusting" government decisions. Not "anything can be appealed".