Re: Adminrest: section 3.5b

2004-12-03 11:13:46
Brian, thanks for providing some scenarios here. Very helpful for those of us who haven't been on IESG/IAB/ISOC BoT, and are trying to visualize what the words mean.

I think Harald's followup is helpful here - the existing IESG/IAB are already part of the "appeals from the community" food chain, and if we get as far as "IAD makes horrible decision that neither IESG nor IAB nor the ISOC BoT think is horrible decision", having individuals continue to pursue an appeal is probably fruitless anyway ...

Please see notes inline.

Spencer

From: "Brian E Carpenter" <brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com>

Spencer Dawkins wrote:
Brian suggests:
Maybe we need a much more restricted right of appeal. Strawperson:

Decisions of the IAOC are subject to appeal exclusively on the grounds
 that they have materially damaged correct execution of the IETF
 standards process [RFC2026]. They follow the appeals process
applicable to the standards process. Matters outside the standards process such as staff, budget and contractual matters are not subject
 to such appeal.

works for me

Scott

I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble visualizing this - can anyone give an example of a decision that materially damages correct execution of 2026?

Have we ever been the subject of a decision, by whomever, that would qualify for an appeal using this text?

Well, suppose the IAOC decided, on financial grounds, to abolish
Draft Standard and Standard RFCs because they cost too much to
process? Or more plausibly, to stop all RFC editing for 6 months
due to a budget crisis?

   Brian

I Would Have Thought that the first possibility would be Out of Scope for the IAOC (too much direct fiddling with the standards process that they aren't supposed to be directly fiddling with).

I can imagine the second possibility to be (as you say) more plausible, but hopefully the IESG and/or IAB would think this was a bad thing (if there were useful alternatives that hadn't been explored with IOAC), so having the leadership tell IOAC "please rejoin the real world" is probably appropriate.

The second scenario is interesting, because presumably if IAOC says "we can't afford to do this", IETF could not reasonably say "you have to do it whether you can afford to do this or not". If IETF says "that really matters, and we're willing to help you identify stuff that matters less so you CAN afford to do what really matters", that seems more reasonable to me.

IMHO.

Spencer