Re: Adminrest: section 3.5b

2004-12-02 00:33:54
Scott,

draft-ietf-iasa-bcp-01 section 3.5 goes on to say:
  Decisions of IAOC members or the entire IAOC are subject to appeal
  using the procedures described in RFC 2026 [RFC2026].  Appeals of
  IAOC decisions go first to the IESG, then continue up the chain as
  necessary to the IAB and the ISOC Board of Trustees.

I do not like this

the way its written a random person could appeal the awarding of a
contract to vendor and thereby potentially perpetrating a denial of
service on the IETF while the appeal process was being followed through

I do not know that there are no decisions of the IAOC members or the
entire IAOC that could be appeled usefully but I can not think of one
offhand - I think this clase should be removed - or significantally
restricted in what can be appealed (and I'd say a null set)

I agree, based on your use of the words "usefully appealed".

I just finished typing the Plenary minutes from IETF 61, where Harald pointed out that he wasn't chosen for his depth of experience as a contract administrator. I'm assuming this is true of most of the rest of IESG and IAB. If we're moving from the realm of appealing protocol design choices to appealing contract award choices, we probably need to think about this more than saying "just use the 2026 appeal process".

WAY too close to saying "just use IPSEC" :-)

Spencer