Re: Consensus? IPR rights and all that

2004-12-07 00:36:23
Dr. Kahn,

I am sure that if we so desire, we can keep laywers entertained for several years sorting out the ownership of reserves, data and systems created using funds from IETF meeting fees. But we should not allow this potential for trouble prevent us from making a clear picture of what we want to achieve going forward.

Our experience with Foretec, where (for instance) our request for a database dump of the I-D tracker has been stonewalled for more than a year, was indeed a reason for trying to establish the principle of data access firmly going forward.

My reluctance to mention the word "ownership" in our principles is, among other things, based on a desire to be able to negotiate mutually acceptable solutions to problems like the one you mention - a desire I am sure you share.

The IETF's ability to use the data it needs to function, now and going forward, is a principle that I am not willing to compromise on.

What the formalities are that allow this to happen is something I think you and I should allow people with more experience in legal and financial matters to sort out, without placing more restrictions on them than are absolutely necessary.

                     Harald