Re: Historic (Re: List of Old Standards to be retired)

2004-12-19 04:49:55

--On lørdag, desember 18, 2004 11:51:56 -0800 Bob Braden <braden(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU> wrote:

  *> >>
  *> > This must be some new redefinition of the meaning of a Historic
RFC.   *> > In the past, it meant "don't do it this way anymore, we no
longer   *> > recommend it, there's another way to accomplish the same
goal".   *> > So, for the PPP items listed, what's the better way to
accomplish the   *> > same goal?
  *>
  *> No, it's the old definition of Historic.
  *>

Harald,

I am puzzled by your comment.  I believe that Bill Simpson is correct
about the "old" (historic) definition of Historic category, defined by
Jon Postel.  Jon believed that if you have a standard defining
interoperability, it is ALWAYS a standard unless there is a compelling
reason to warn people away.  The IETF can change the meaning of
Historic, but let's not change history.

With all respect to Jon Postel - the IETF's meaning of Historic is defined by reference to IETF consensus, not to Jon Postel's opinion.

We may be confused by different meanings of "old" - I was referring to 1994.

Shows how young I am, I guess :-)

                     Harald