When should a new IANA registry be created

2004-12-19 10:18:51

There is the beginning of yet another debate on the SIMPLE mailing list
about do we need an IANA registry from some fields in a specific draft.
There does not seem to be a clear opinion on when to create a registry or
not and past activities are not 100% consistent. I'm sure this has come up
many times before. Are there some things I should go read that help shed
light on this?

Could the IAB give any advice here? Is it good to use IANA just as a
convenient place to go find links to all the RFC you might need to know
about? Should we only have a registry only if there is a real possibility to
two values being allocated to two different things (when the value was
supposed to be unique). Who can is in a good position to help sort this out
IAB? IESG? Other?

Thanks, Cullen