Re: When should a new IANA registry be created

2004-12-20 00:27:21
If there is something in an RFC that clearly is "a parameter", then it is not a bad idea to have an IANA registry. By creating a registry, you can yourself set the requirements for assignment. For example, is an RFC needed? Is IESG approval needed? Is just review on a mailing list (and an expert) enough?

My view is that any protocol parameter should be in a registry, so it is easy to go to ONE location and see what's up. Especially if the list of allowed parameters might be changed/updated in updates to the RFC you are writing.

      paf