Re: [Sipforum-discussion] SIP INFO and RFC 2833 support?

2004-12-21 08:24:29
Let me try to clarify here.

The IETF has two standards-track techniques for DTMF carriage. These are:

1. RFC 2833
2. KPML and the app interaction framework (draft-ietf-sipping-kpml, draft-ietf-sipping-app-interaction-framework). This uses a subscribe/notify model to carry user input.

The framework gives some guidance on the usage of RFC2833 vs. KPML.

The usage of INFO for carrying DTMF is not based on any IETF standards. It has numerous known problems. There are implementations doing it, many in different ways, as they pre-date the standards track KPML/app interaction work.

-Jonathan R.

Vijay Shanmugam wrote:
Hi,
/1) What is the latest draft on SIP INFO?
/The RFC we are following is 2976.
But recently I had noticed a draft saying SIP INFO harmful.
http://www.softarmor.com/wgdb/docs/draft-rosenberg-sip-info-harmful-00.txt
/2) Is it mandatory to signal DTMF via SIP INFO?
/It is not mandatory to use SIP INFO for DTMF. For normal calls, just an inband RFC 2833 DTMF implementation is enough. But if you are willing to provide 3rd party call control service, where you do not have direct control over media and you just have control over signaling, implementation of out-of-band DTMF signaling using SIP INFO becomes mandatory. Thanks & regards,
Vijay Shanmugam
2476, Swedesford Road,
Malvern, PA 19355.
Ph: 610 648 4547