Issue: #746: Section 3.4 - IAOC Decision Making

2004-12-21 16:21:26
inline

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of
sob(_at_)harvard(_dot_)edu
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 14:23
To: harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org;
sob(_at_)harvard(_dot_)edu
Subject: Re: draft-ietf-iasa-bcp-02: section 3.4 - IAOC
Decision Making

Harald sez:
I don't think the IAOC should be completely paralyzed by
one member being on
holiday, ill or for other reasons unable to participate.

nor do I, and my suggestion does not cause that - my suggestion says
that if you want a majority vote then the majority is of all current
members of the IAOC not of some subset that happen to show up
at a meeting

This is usually handled by quorum rules. I think the IAOC
should set those (and publish them).

Bert asked about that and I think that having quorum rules is fine -
but I'm assuming that most IAOC decisions will be made electonically
rather than face to face so I do not think that establishing a quorum
for face to face (or telephony) meetings changes the number that
the determination of a majority vote works on - basically I'm
saying that the IAOC should work on the same rules IETF WGs do and
verify decisions on their mailing list (if one or more members
miss a face to face or telephone meeting)

So what if one specific IAOC member has gone out in the woods for heaven
knows how long.

Bert
Scott

=-----