RE: No change needed? #736 Section 5.2 - Handling of meeting reve nues

2004-12-22 10:04:55
Harald responds:

Margaret wrote, quoting the BCP:

5.2 IETF Meeting Revenues

Meeting revenues are an important source of funds for IETF functions.
The IAD, in consultation with the IAOC, sets the meeting fees as part
of the budgeting process. All meeting revenues shall be credited to
the appropriate IASA account.

There are at least two models for handling meeting fees. One
model would involve having the meeting fees collected by the IETF
and having the IETF pay the meeting planning company. Another
model would involve the meeting planning company collecting the
fees, deducting agreed costs and sending the remainder to the IETF.
I am not sure that this paragraph would allow for second
arrangement, but I think that arrangement is quite common for
meetings and conferences.

Remembering that IASA accounts are bookkeeping devices, not bank accounts,
I do not think this matters.
I think it is easier for the IETF to see what's going on if the accounting
says "this amount of money came in from attendees (credited to account) -
this amount of money was spent on arranging the meetings (debited from
account) - this amount of money was surplus (stays in account)".

Not accounting for it this way would make it hard to tell how much we're
spending on arranging meetings - and this is bad for transparency.

Suggestion: No change.

OK?

Works for me.

Bert
p.s. often when I see: no change needed" it easily works for me ;-)

               Harald