Re: The Font top-level MIME type registration I-D

2004-12-23 17:09:23
Dave,

The third paragraph of your introduction starts --but only
starts-- to answer the obvious questions of "why not use
application/ ?" and "why do you need a top-level type?"
Assuming we accept your explanation for the first, it seems to
me that the second is still a little dicey. You've defined two
subtypes and I can think of a handful, but only a handful, of
others.   Unless there will be far more subtype registrations
than that suggests, creating a top-level type doesn't feel
right.

So, let me ask you, and anyone else who is inclined to think
about this, a question: are there other things than fonts which
could use a top-level type and whose needs are similar (as
described in your introduction)?  Is there a more general
problem that we can solve here?  Is  the XML- precedent useful
in any way?

best,
   john

--On Thursday, 23 December, 2004 13:53 -0800 Dave Singer