Re: Issue #737: Section 5.3 - Designated Donations [was RE: IASA BCP -02 Designated Donations - section 5.3]

2004-12-28 09:53:39
Hi Bert,

At 3:40 PM +0100 12/23/04, Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:
Inline

 -----Original Message-----
 From: ietf_censored-admin(_at_)vesuvio(_dot_)ipv6(_dot_)tilab(_dot_)com
 [mailto:ietf_censored-admin(_at_)vesuvio(_dot_)ipv6(_dot_)tilab(_dot_)com]On
Behalf Of Leslie
 Daigle
 Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 22:29
 To: Brian E Carpenter
 Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; Lynn St.Amour
 Subject: Re: IASA BCP -02 Designated Donations - section 5.3

 Let me try a slightly different cut on the discussion.

 1/ I believe the IETF is trying to address the fact we would like
     to be able to accept support in chunks that are greater than
     individual meeting fees, and less than $100kUS.  IMHO,
     it's not that the IETF needs to be able to accept donations
     in *any* size between those, but I have heard people say that
     they know the person in their company who could write a cheque
     for $40k, if it will pecifically support the IETF, but there's no
     way they can get $100k through their budget.

My feeling is that we all agree on the above. I have not seen anyone speak
up against the principle above.

The current text actually does capture that:

                    ISOC shall create and maintain appropriate
                    structures and programs to coordinate donations
                    intended to support the work of the IETF, and
                    these will include mechanisms for both in-kind and
                    direct contributions to the work supported by
                    IASA.  Since ISOC will be the sole entity through
                    whom donations may be made to the work of the
                    IETF, ISOC shall ensure that those programs are not
                    unduly restrictive.  For the benefit of
                    individuals, smaller organizations and countries
                    with developing economies, ISOC shall maintain
                    programs that allow for designated donations to
                    the IETF.

Lynn wants the last sentence removed.
I can sort of see that, because it is a detail and it only explains
(I think) why we want the programs to not be "unduly restrcitive".
What the last sentence may alllude to is that we are thinking about
very small size of contributions (I could see individuals wanting to
donate like a few tens of dollars a year). And so that is detail, and
that indeed needs to be worked out and to be evaluated against possible
cost for doing so (as explained somewhat by Lynn).

It is probably OK to remove:

                                         For the benefit of
                    individuals, smaller organizations and countries
                    with developing economies, ISOC shall maintain
                    programs that allow for designated donations to
                    the IETF.

and the text above

                    The ISOC shall create and maintain...

covers two items:

- ISOC will continue (maintain) the current IETF donor program
- ISOC will create (or update) the program to make the program
  not unduly restrictive.

So are we OK on that?

from my perspective, this is better. It will be critical to review the document as a whole once things are nearly settled.

 2/ I believe we've also heard the IETF say that it wants to be able
     to clearly identify its collected assets (and, as the flipside,
     is willing to pay for all of its expenses).  This is driven
     by a lot of factors, but I think the an important one is
     that the IETF believes it can and should be financially viable.
     Taking the bad along with the good, we want to be in an
     environment where we can prove that out empirically.

I personally am not sure I want to "prove" that we (IETF) can and
should be financially viable. But I DO want transparency, and as
part of thta, I do want to see which donations were tagged
and intended for IETF and how they have been allocated/credited
to IETF. So my concern has been addressed with the text on
transparency.

Lynn also stated that we currently see a 90/10 rule in ISOC in that
80% of the donations are under $10K and they bring in some 10% of
the all donations (If I understood here posting correctly).
If that is the case, then a lower bound of $10K might be fine
for explicit tagging.

Now ... I have in my mind that the lower limit for tagging is
currently $100K. So that seems to be an issue. But if donatins
above $10k are only 20% of the (number of) donations, and make up
90% of the money, then allowing tagging of that seems fine.
And for me, that seems captured in the

   "... to make the program not unduly restrictive."

text.

assuming I'm understanding this correctly :-)  this seems fine.

snip...

Lynn also wanted anotehr sentence removed, namely the 1st sentence of

   ISOC shall create appropriate administrative structures to coordinate
   such donations with the IASA.  In-kind resources are owned by the
   ISOC on behalf of the IETF and shall be reported and accounted for in
   a manner that identifies them as such.  Designated monetary donations
   shall be credited to the appropriate IASA account.

That has already been done as part of another issue.

Thanks Bert, and thanks again to you and Rob for all the work. This has really turned into a huge task.

Regards,

Lynn