Re: draft-phillips-langtags-08, process, specifications, "stability",  and extensions

2005-01-01 10:02:31
 Date: 2004-12-30 10:46
 From: "JFC (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey(_at_)jefsey(_dot_)com>
 To: "Peter Constable" <petercon(_at_)microsoft(_dot_)com>,
ietf-languages(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no, ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

1. OSI 3166 is refered to. RFC 1591 should. RFC 1591 introduces differences
(we all live with) with OSI 3166 which is taken as a reference to know what
is a country.

RFC 1591's scope is the DNS, not language tags.  I see no
relevance to the current discussion. Domain names and
language tags are different types of names, used for
different purposes, and with different scope (largely
non-overlapping, though one might legitimately ask how
one is supposed to determine the language of an
"internationalized" domain name...)

2. OSI 639 scripting fr-FR is used while RFC 1958 leads to fr-fr or FR-FR
or FR-fr indifferently and calls for fra-fr to avoid confusion.

RFC 1958 states (and RFC 2277 reinforces) that fact that
"names" (as that term is used in both documents, meaning
tags) are case-insensitive.  That is consistent with the
case-insensitivity aspects of the draft under discussion.
I see nothing in RFC 1958 that would call for "fra-fr"
rather than "fr-FR" (specifically, w.r.t. 1958 sect. 4.2
the 2- and 3-letter ISO 639 codes are part of a single
list of codes; w.r.t. sect. 4.4 "fr-FR" (in any combination
of letter case) is unambiguous as a language tag).