Re: IDN and language

2005-01-04 11:53:06
At 18:06 04/01/2005, John C Klensin wrote:
Returning to the DNS/IDN situation, ICANN has created a
recommendation for all TLDs, and a requirement on at least some
gTLDs, that languages not be mixed within a label and for
registration and use of tables similar to those recommended by
RFC 3743.  Those tables are identified by a combination of the
Domain name associated with the registering TLD registry and a
3066 code.  That system is not, IMO, working especially well and
the 3066 code model will, I think, have to be extended to deal
with some unusual situations.   But, interestingly,
draft-phillips... doesn't appear to solve that particular
problem: what is needed is a way to specify odd mixtures of
languages and/or scripts that may be appropriate to a particular
zone, and that means less specificity and more
linguistically-strange constructions, not more specificity and
structure.

The real problem is the confusion all this introduce because it is not a consensual draft by an IETF WG working along an IAB approved Charter, what is odd when the discussed RFC was authored by the IESG Chair and the private mailing list hosted under his name with the name "ietf-language" what is confusing to many.

At this stage, we can only say that there is no consensus on what is discussed, on the problems to solve and the proposed solutions. But that there is no reason why there would not be such a consensus when the charter I outlined yesterday would have been carried. jfc