RE: draft-phillips-langtags-08, process, sp ecifications, "stability", and extensions

2005-01-06 13:51:05
At 12:14 PM -0800 1/6/05, Peter Constable wrote:
 > From: Dave Singer [mailto:singer(_at_)apple(_dot_)com]

 Sorry, I should have gone on to conclude:  the important aspect of
 sub-tags is that their nature and purpose be identifiable and
 explained (e.g. that this is a country code), and that we retain
 compatibility with previous specifications.

Ah! Then the proposed draft ensures that the nature of subtags are
always identifiable, which RFC 3066 (as I mentioned earlier) fails to
do.

And the draft retains compatibility with previous specifications using
an assumption (thoroughly discussed and concluded on the IETF-languages
list a year ago) that, in case of left-prefix matching processes, script
distinctions are generally far more important that country distinctions.

as has been beautifully pointed out on the list, that is a view that is lingo-centric. If what I am trying to differentiate is the price (and the currency of the price) of an item, the country may be much more important than the script that the price is written in. (this is also an example for the last point below). I repeat, I don't think truncation -- and hence prefix-matching -- is very stable or nearly universally applicable enough to be mentioned. Whereas I do believe compatibility of ordering with 3066 is important.

 I don't believe that simple
 truncation is a necessarily useful operation in all circumstances,

I don't think anyone would dispute that.

 and it probably should not be in the spec. at all.  For example, I'd
 say that we should retain the 3066 ordering of language-country and
 therefore script, if needed, comes later.  However, my typesetting
 subsystem doesn't care a jot about language or country, it just needs
 to find the script code ('can I render this script'?).

Here I disagree. For other purposes, I think it's very clear that the
only time that choice of order matters is with matching algorithms that
use simple truncation, and for the most common implementations, which
use left-prefix truncation, the order lang-script-country will be far
more useful in the long run precisely because script distinctions are
generally far more important in matching than country distinctions. I
don't know of any case in which a tag might be used that contained all
three subtags but in which the country distinction generally matters
more than the script distinction.

--
David Singer
Apple Computer/QuickTime