Re: draft-phillips-langtags-08, process, sp ecifications, "stability", and extensions

2005-01-06 14:47:04
Dave Singer scripsit:

as has been beautifully pointed out on the list, that is a view that
is lingo-centric.  If what I am trying to differentiate is the price
(and the currency of the price) of an item, the country may be much
more important than the script that the price is written in.  (this
is also an example for the last point below).

Using the language-tag to retrieve the country implicitly referenced
in the content is far more unreliable than prefix-matching.  Just
because this document is written in en-US doesn't mean I can't
refer to the price of some consumer device as 200,000 yen.

I repeat, I don't
think truncation -- and hence prefix-matching -- is very stable or
nearly universally applicable enough to be mentioned.

It's there to clarify the rule already given in RFC 3066.

Whereas I do
believe compatibility of ordering with 3066 is important.

RFC 3066 already supports tags that don't fit.

--
John Cowan  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
jcowan(_at_)reutershealth(_dot_)com