Re: The process/WG/BCP/langtags mess...

2005-01-11 15:32:10
From: Sam Hartman <hartmans-ietf(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu>

No, currently this draft is in Ted's hands.  It makes no sense for
people to withdraw drafts or to make any hasty decisions at all.

That's fine, but does suggest some questions:

 - Is the Last Call over?

 - If so, was its result "no supporting consensus"?

 - If the result was "no supporting consensus", will the current document
     nevertheless be published as a BCP?

 - If the result was "no supporting consensus", will a revision of
    the document be published as a BCP without a new Last Call?

Last week I saw a comment that seemed to answer first question with Yes.
If the answers to the other questions are not Yes, No, and No, then
as others have said, the IETF has far more serious process problems
than how to account for the expenses of the to be hired help.
If Last Calls are meaningless exercises in noise, then the honest
thing to do is shut down this mailing list or redirect it to the
old TCP-IP list that some time ago became the comp.protocols.tcp-ip
netnews hierarchy.
If outside groups can publish IETF BCPs without the let, leave, or
hindrance of the IETF, then the honest thing to do is to get rid
of all of that tiresome WG stuff.
The IETF meetings could continue, but as part of NetWorld+Interop.

On the other hand, if the answers are Yes, Yes, No, and No, then
contrary to the other person's request, there is no good reason to
talk about the language tags document here and now.

That would sound like a decision to me, but I'm not sure I'd call
it hasty even as committee clocks count time.