Re: Definitions, names, and confusion

2005-01-12 04:59:59
At 09:10 12/01/2005, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
actually the BCP label has multiple, largely disjunct areas of coverage.

I once (many years back) suggested splitting the categories into Recommended Internet Practices and Directives for Oversight and Administration, but the acronyms didn't survive the laugh test....

I suppose this is not only the laugh test but the consistency test; both also are using words of authority ("Recommeded" and "Directive").

A BCP definition makes it a cultural/procedural equivalent to an accepted Standard. This is why I proposed "Documented Best Practices" (DCP) and a "Suggested Best Practice" (SCP) as simple mnemonics to compare with the "for information" and usual proposition concepts the Common Practice area is not permitted.

jfc