Consensus? #737 Section 5.3 Designated donations

2005-01-12 06:02:46
The section on donations in version -03 says (skipping the editors' notes):

5.3  Designated Donations, Monetary and In-Kind

  Donations are an essential component of funding.  The IASA undertakes
  no direct fund-raising activities.  This establishes a practice of
  separating IETF administrative and standards activities from
  fund-raising activities, and helps ensure that no undue influence may
  be ascribed to those from whom funds are raised.

  ISOC shall create and maintain appropriate structures and programs to
  coordinate donations intended to support the work of the IETF, and
  these will include mechanisms for both in-kind and direct
  contributions to the work supported by IASA.  Since ISOC will be the
  sole entity through whom donations may be made to the work of the
  IETF, ISOC shall ensure that those programs are not unduly
  restrictive.  For the benefit of individuals, smaller organizations
  and countries with developing economies, ISOC shall maintain programs
  that allow for designated donations to the IETF.

  In-kind resources are owned by the ISOC on behalf of the IETF and
  shall be reported and accounted for in a manner that identifies them
  as such.  Designated monetary donations shall be credited to the
  appropriate IASA accounts.

In the discussion on this subject, Lynn St. Amour raised the issue that the words on "designated donations" were, in her words, "unnecessarily restrictive and too proscriptive; and will significantly reduce needed flexibility". This was interpreted by some as saying "there should be no donations that are designated solely for IETF support".

There has been strong pushback against this from other people; people have pointed out that one such program already exists (the platinum membership).
I also went over this in some detail in my "finances note".
The discussion made clear that people are not strongly wedded to any particular *size* limit for the designated donations; people have said that the 100K/year commitment level is "very high", but fully accept that any such program will have to be able to pay for its own overhead.

I think there is IETF consensus that we want designated donations to exist, as they do today. This principle needs to go in - and indeed, it is touched upon in other places in the BCP.

But I do not see the need to put much restriction on the way it is set up.
Suggested modification to the middle paragraph:

  ISOC shall create and maintain appropriate structures and programs to
  coordinate donations intended to support the work of the IETF, and
  these will include mechanisms for both in-kind and direct
  contributions to the work supported by IASA.  Since ISOC will be the
  sole entity through whom donations may be made to the work of the
  IETF, ISOC shall ensure that those programs are not unduly
  restrictive.
  ISOC shall maintain programs that allow for designated donations to
  support the work of the IETF.

The "not unduly restrictive" part should take care of the "I want to give ten dollars" issue. And I reworded the last sentence to make it match the first one, and not cause red herrings about whether the IETF exists as someone who can hold money (it doesn't).

Does this make sense to people?

                         Harald