Re: Consensus? #733 Outsourcing principle

2005-01-12 05:54:59

--On onsdag, januar 12, 2005 07:29:27 -0500 Scott W Brim <sbrim(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 1/12/2005 04:51, Harald Tveit Alvestrand allegedly wrote:

In principle, IETF administrative functions should be
outsourced. Decisions to perform specific functions
"in-house" should be explicitly justified by the IAOC
and restricted to the minimum staff required, with these
decisions and staffing reviewed by the IAOC on a regular
basis and against a "zero base" assumption.

"Minimum staff required" is a little difficult.  One can do anything with
existing staff if quality and timeliness don't matter.  The IAOC has to
determine those parameters as part of deciding staffing levels.  I
suggest "minimum staff required to perform the functions satisfactorily
as determined by the IAOC", or something along those lines.

I thought that was implied by "required"...... if we don't like "required", I think we should drop the subsentence, leaving us with:

In principle, IETF administrative functions should be
outsourced. Decisions to perform specific functions
"in-house" should be explicitly justified by the IAOC,
with these
decisions and staffing reviewed by the IAOC on a regular
basis and against a "zero base" assumption.

Less is more....