Re: Consensus? #733 Outsourcing principle

2005-01-13 06:01:49
I can't promise I'm interpreting the discussion correctly, but my understanding is that our bias is not in favor of outsourcing, but against empire-building and bloat. As long as we say "zero-based", so that we're giving the right clues about not spending lots of money in ways that create the expectation that we'll continue to spend money the same way next year, I think we've said what needs to be said.

Without tying our hands if we ever decide we need two employees in order to be efficient.

Spencer

I'd like people to explain why they think that the BCP should impose a
bias towards outsourcing as opposed towards doing things in the
most efficient way possible.

I have sympathy with that view, especially since outsourcing can lead to egregious results if you do it wrong (just think "billable hours"). But on the other hand, we want to discourage egregious bloat of direct
staff posts (I could give some examples, but then I would probably
get sued). And if we just say "do things in the most efficient way
possible" we've said very little. So I ended up thinking the proposed
text was OK.