Re: Consensus? #733 Outsourcing principle

2005-01-12 06:48:04
"Minimum staff required" seems uncomfortably worded to me. I am not sure we
need to go into this detail, for the reason Scott listed. If we do need to have
this leel of detail, could we say 'sufficient staff' or something along those
lines?

John L

------------------- Original message -------------------
Subject: Re: Consensus? #733 Outsourcing principle
From: "Scott W Brim" <sbrim(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
Time: 01/12/2005 7:29 am

On 1/12/2005 04:51, Harald Tveit Alvestrand allegedly wrote:

In principle, IETF administrative functions should be
outsourced. Decisions to perform specific functions
"in-house" should be explicitly justified by the IAOC
and restricted to the minimum staff required, with these
decisions and staffing reviewed by the IAOC on a regular
basis and against a "zero base" assumption.

"Minimum staff required" is a little difficult.  One can do anything
with existing staff if quality and timeliness don't matter.  The IAOC
has to determine those parameters as part of deciding staffing levels.
I suggest "minimum staff required to perform the functions
satisfactorily as determined by the IAOC", or something along those lines.

Scott