RE: individual submission Last Call -- default yes/no.

2005-01-12 06:51:25
Bruce Lilly wrote:

[lines re-wrapped and annotated with authors' initials]

mw> My understanding of the purpose of the IETF/W3C Liaison group
mw> is, precisely, liaison over issues of importance to both the
mw> IETF and the W3C.

bl> Since the draft-philips-... effort isn't an IETF effort,
bl> exactly who would represent the IETF, on what basis, and
bl> for what purpose?

A first step could be to compare the two standards bodies'
requirements for language tagging, to establish whether they are
compatible.  Further steps could follow, depending on the outcome.
Note that while HTTP, for example, is an IETF standard, the Web
relies on it.  Currently, the same language tagging standard is used
by HTTP, HTML's "meta" element, HTML's "lang" attribute and XML's
"xml:lang" attribute.  It would be very highly desirable to maintain
this alignment.  I don't know who would represent the IETF, or on
what basis.

mw> I don't know
mw> what is the prevailing IETF position, but quite a few of the
mw> contributors to the langtags discussion have treated longevity
mw> of data and metadata as being of no importance (cf the debate
mw> over how to handle changes to ISO 3166 Codes for the Names of
mw> Countries).

bl> I believe that ("being of no importance") is a gross
bl> mischaracterization which does not represent what
bl> *anybody* involved in the discussion since the December
bl> New Last Call has said, much less the claimed "quite a few".

The contributions I refer to (which are in the mail archive) appear
to take a profoundly negative position regarding a principal goal of
the draft, namely the stability of metadata.

vs> Then there was the awesome list of authorities that the IETF
vs> list members is ignoring at its peril.
vs> See http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg33563.html

mw> Ignoring at its peril?  I was simply demonstrating that
mw> standards bodies and individuals with long and respected track
mw> records have been involved for some years in the langtags work.

bl> You specifically stated that the draft-philips-... "work has
bl> been carried out as an informal IETF/W3C/Unicode collaboration",
bl> and proceeded to list 3 W3C participants, 1 Unicode Consortium
bl> participant, mentioned a W3C WG and a Unicode Consortium
bl> project, but *no* IETF participation and of course no IETF
bl> WG.  That remarkable comment -- "IETF [...] collaboration"
bl> with no IETF participation -- occurred after considerable
bl> discussion of the process.  It also occurred two days after
bl> the close of the New Last Call, so I have until this latest
bl> reference back to that peculiar statement declined to comment
bl> on it.

As has been stated before, the process followed with this draft
appears to be precisely the same as that followed with RFC 3066
(BCP 47).  Are you arguing that RFC 3066 too lacked "IETF
participation"?  Or are you saying that some aspect of the process
caused that effort to include "IETF participation" but was lacking
in the case of the current draft?

bl> Something is gravely wrong when an ad-hoc group believes
bl> that it is in "collaboration" with the IETF by ignoring
bl> published (RFC 2418) IETF procedures and protocols and by
bl> failing to advise or consult with established IETF groups
bl> likely to have an interest in the IETF standard which the
bl> ad-hoc group proposes to replace.

See above.

bl> When a public gross mischaracterization of New Last Call
bl> discussion is piled on top of such claims of "collaboration",
bl> we've gone well beyond "gravely wrong".  I'm dumbfounded
bl> and can't find a term to adequately portray my shock and
bl> horror at such outrageous remarks.

I apologise for causing you such discomfort.

--
Misha Wolf
Standards Manager

the views of Reuters Ltd.