RE: individual submission Last Call -- default yes/no.

2005-01-11 03:23:44
Vernon Schryver wrote:

[some lines re-wrapped]

vs> Please credit some of us with understanding the meaning of
vs> "escalate" in the intended sense of "evoke to an authority that
vs> will issue a writ of mandamus."

*I* certainly did not intend such a meaning.  Maybe I used the wrong
word; if so I apologise.  I meant something along the lines of
"refer".  My understanding of the purpose of the IETF/W3C Liaison
group is, precisely, liaison over issues of importance to both the
IETF and the W3C.  There can be differences of emphasis in the two
groups, due to the different (though, I hope, complementary) nature
of the work being done by both.  For example, the W3C is very
concerned about the longevity of data and metadata.  I don't know
what is the prevailing IETF position, but quite a few of the
contributors to the langtags discussion have treated longevity of
data and metadata as being of no importance (cf the debate over how
to handle changes to ISO 3166 Codes for the Names of Countries).  I
consider this to be a fundamental issue.

vs> Other words in Mr. Wolf's message including "any course of
vs> action which would cause a parting of the ways" were not lacking
vs> in forcefulness.

Indeed.  It would, self-evidently, be bad for the Internet were
these various standards bodies not able to agree on a common course
of action.  The danger of such an outcome requires forceful language.

vs> Then there was the awesome list of authorities that the IETF
vs> list members is ignoring at its peril.
vs> See http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg33563.html

Ignoring at its peril?  I was simply demonstrating that standards
bodies and individuals with long and respected track records have
been involved for some years in the langtags work.  I was responding
to mails which claimed that there is no support for this work.

vs> When I read Mr. Wolf's message the first time, I was reminded of
vs> an IETF slogan about rejecting kings and presidents as well as
vs> ancient friction between the DDN protocol designers and users
vs> and the ISO.

I see.  The IETF embodies participation and democracy and all other
standards groups are the preserves of hierarchical posturing?  An
interesting point of view.

--
Misha Wolf
Standards Manager