RE: individual submission Last Call -- default yes/no.

2005-01-11 12:31:28
Hi John,

Your mail [1] puzzles me.  I don't think I suggested that the W3C is
developing language tags.  On the contrary, I wrote [2]:

|  The W3C is highly dependent on the RFC 1766/3066 family of RFCs,
|  as language-handling in HTML and XML is delegated to these RFCs.
|  Within the W3C, the responsibility for keeping an eye on these
|  RFCs lies with the I18N WG.

I also did not suggest most of the other things which you imply that
I had suggested.

The facts of the matter are:

-  various IETF protocols and data structures make use of language
   tags

-  various W3C protocols and data structures make use of language
   tags

There are a number of important issues needing resolution, including
the stability of language tags over time.  The current draft
attempts to deal with these.

I note your characterisation of the IETF/W3C liaison (as only
tackling formal projects that both bodies are engaged in, etc).  You
may be quite correct, though one might be forgiven for forming a
different impression, looking at:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ietf-w3c/

  public-ietf-w3c(_at_)w3(_dot_)org Mail Archives

  IETF/W3C coordination: identification of areas of overlap,
  coordination of reviews, and meeting coverage.

and:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ietf-w3c/2002Jun/0001.html

  announcing public-ietf-w3c(_at_)w3(_dot_)org

  [too long to quote]

and:

  http://www.w3.org/2001/11/StdLiaison#IETF

  [which lists I18N under W3C Activities affected]

I have no idea where you got all the other strange ideas you appear
to attribute to me (about overruling the IESG etc), so I won't
respond to them.

[1] http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg33603.html

[2] http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg33553.html

--