RE: individual submission Last Call -- default yes/no.

2005-01-10 15:59:41
From: Misha Wolf <Misha(_dot_)Wolf(_at_)reuters(_dot_)com>

vs> unless the incredible "I'm gona tell the Liason on you"
vs> threat was the vacuous, standards committee politicing
vs> as usual that it sounded like.

That appears to be a rather paranoid reading of my:

mw> Now the IETF is, of course, free to do whatever it likes,
mw> but I would urge that any course of action which would
mw> cause a parting of the ways between the IETF and the W3C
mw> (and other Industry Consortia) should be avoided.  I
mw> suggest that it may be time to escalate this matter to
mw> the IETF/W3C Liaison group.

Where is the threat?  I was suggesting that as the IETF and
the W3C have a liaison group and as there appear to be
disagreements as to how to move forward, the matter be raised
at the liaison group.  Is that not what such groups are for?

Please credit some of us with understanding the meaning of "escalate"
in the intended sense of "evoke to an authority that will issue a writ
of mandamus."  Other words in Mr. Wolf's message including "any course
of action which would cause a parting of the ways" were not lacking
in forcefulness.  Then there was the awesome list of authorities that
the IETF list members is ignoring at its peril.
See http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg33563.html

When I read Mr. Wolf's message the first time, I was reminded of an
IETF slogan about rejecting kings and presidents as well as ancient
friction between the DDN protocol designers and users and the ISO.

I suspect that the language tag saga is not as bad as it seems and
that some good new IETF documents might come of it.  It should also
serve as a red flag for another instance of the general problem of the
quality of IETF documents.