Re: individual submission Last Call -- default yes/no.

2005-01-10 15:37:47
In principle, the process for moving in stages from I-D to Full Standard
is a good one, but only for those who know and respect the different
categories.  Increasingly, I get the impression that those not au fait
with the workings of the IETF see an I-D as a considered piece of work,
to be referenced as if was almost a standard; which is sometimes true,
sometimes not.  We can tell the difference, in lots of ways, others may
not, so I would like more indication from the first that an I-D,
particularly an individual submission, is an idea on the table, for
discussion, with a mailing list attached where the discussion can
happen.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Juergen Schoenwaelder" <j(_dot_)schoenwaelder(_at_)iu-bremen(_dot_)de>
To: "Vernon Schryver" <vjs(_at_)calcite(_dot_)rhyolite(_dot_)com>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2005 10:16 PM
Subject: Re: individual submission Last Call -- default yes/no.

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 12:52:36PM -0700, Vernon Schryver wrote:

[...]  The whole "community consensus"
thing is absolutely required for anything that deserves the word
"standard." [...]

I would like to recall that new documents enter the "standards-track"
as Proposed Standards and there are various ways to proceed from there
(one of them is direct transition to Historic) and a long way to go
for
becoming Standard. So even if the IESG (a group of people we should
trust - at least someone should be there you should trust ;-) made a
bad decision and nobody recognized the IETF last call, then there are
still several ways and mechanisms to fix the decision before something
becomes a "standard". (And mind you: a standards-track document which
is not deployed is just a sequence of bits in a storage device.)

<snip>