Re: individual submission Last Call -- default yes/no.

2005-01-10 14:51:36

--On mandag, januar 10, 2005 19:47:43 +0100 Tom Petch <nwnetworks(_at_)dial(_dot_)pipex(_dot_)com> wrote:

Mmmmm

My take is that by the time we get to last call, we may be trying to
do - are IMHO in the case of the I-D that kicked this off - things that
were better done earlier.

I can track I-Ds courtesy of the IETF mauling list (whoops Freudian
slip:-) and can take it upon myself to read them but may still have no
idea where - if anywhere - a discussion is taking place by whom and I
may be prevented from taking part in that discussion anyway; and for me
that is the lack of openness that is at the heart of the problem

I believe any individual submission should have a publicly identified,
publicly accessible mailing list, perhaps listed in the I-D
announcement, so that we can raise issues, hopefully resolve them,
before last call.  Then a default yes could make sense.

So do I. It's one of the pieces of advice I always give to I-D writers.
It is, unfortunately, not often followed.